The Stronghold's Introduction to Climbing class will teach you the skills you need to safely get started with climbing on roped routes. We will teach you,
- how to put on a climbing harness,
- how to tie-in to the harness,
- how to check your partner's harness and knot,
- the standard commands climbers and belayers use to communicate the safety-critical stages of climbing and belaying,
- why those commands are critical to climbing safety,
- how to toprope belay,
- and how to climb with a top-rope belay,
In this class you will learn everything you need to know to pass our top-rope belay test which is required to top-rope climb and belay on your own in the gym.
The class is offered every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 6:30 PM, Saturday at noon, Saturday at 3:30 PM, and Sunday at noon. It typically lasts about three hours, and the minimum age is 14.
The class is free for Stronghold members, and is $35 for non-members, which includes all of the gear you will need and a day pass. Non-members who join within 30 days of taking the class will have the $35 credited toward their first month of membership.
Class size is limited, and classes fill up, so please call in to reserve a spot. Please arrive 15 minutes early to get checked in and geared up. Checking in can be simplified by filliing out the waiver online before you arrive.